Youth Rising International is a registered 501(c)3 youth development organization with the sole objective of creating safe and vibrant community youth spaces for vulnerable youth in Uganda. At Youth Rising centers, they get the training and the skills they need to access jobs or start their own businesses. Additionally, young people attain leadership skills and reproductive health skills, becoming more confident in themselves and in making better life decisions.
Youth Rising is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the Communication team and support our high growth trajectory in the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Uganda. This Fellow will be an integral part of the team responsible for designing and implementing a high-impact institutional communication strategy that enables Youth Rising to expand and strengthen its voice and services in Uganda and the world.
The Fellow is responsible for coordinating and executing the Youth Rising social media strategy in Uganda, working across key social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. This role offers the fellow a total immersion into a busy digital recruitment business and the successful candidate will work closely with key members of staff, external social media consultants, and our partners to learn about social media, digital communications, and marketing in a professional environment. This role will be instrumental in increasing our social media presence and gaining visibility for our brand among beneficiaries, partners and candidates. The Fellow will create and implement communications strategies that further our goals using social media.
- Up to 15 hours/week for 2 - 3 months.
- Work hours and location are flexible around your schedule.
Information, Education and communication materials:
- Design and Print flyers, pamphlets, stickers, business cards for marketing Youth Rising
- Design and print/digital - manuals, worksheets for the different programs
- Compile design and print/digital Annual Report, Quarterly Reports for all centers
- Manage and coordinate photography, videography, and storytelling for Youth Rising work
- Create graphics for social media and ensure final graphics and layouts are visually appealing and on-brand.
- Design web pages, brochures, logos, signs, books, magazine covers, annual reports, advertisements, and other communication materials for Youth Rising.
- Create these materials by hand or by using technology, including computer software programs. Adobe's Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and more.
- Produce drafts for review by directors and make revisions based on the feedback received.
- Coordinating with outside agencies, art services, web designers, marketing, printers, and colleagues as necessary for Youth Rising branding.
Social Media Community Management
- Assist with streamlining organization social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flicker, and other social media platforms), ensuring uniform content and tone of voice for landing pages, graphics, and other elements within the communities.
- Increase the number of followers we have on Twitter by following and engaging with potential donors
- Monitoring and replying to Tweets and Facebook comments from donors (initially under supervision from a Director)
- Posting Tweets on a daily basis (both job- and industry-related), and using tools like Tweet Deck to plan forward-looking Tweets over weekends and holidays (under supervision from a Director)
- Posting updates to the Organization LinkedIn account (initially under supervision from a Director)
- Use LinkedIn polls and surveys to build our social media footprint and reputation.
- Liaising with staff internally to ensure that their organization profiles are accurate and up-to-date.
- Posting updates to the Organization Facebook account (under supervision from a Director)
- Work with directors to implement other channel-specific campaigns (e.g. uploading photos to Flickr, videos to YouTube, etc.)
Coordinating and Distributing Content
- Scheduling and coordinating a monthly brainstorming meeting with Youth Rising internal social media team to establish content ideas for the month ahead, and to plan for a monthly social media, editorial, marketing, and blogging calendar.
- Maintain a monthly social media and blogging calendar, and ensure that everyone is meeting their deadlines.
- Liaising with senior consultants and directors to push new blog posts through the calendar.
- Help coordinate a guest blogger program, one guest blogger per month. Help to amplify this content through other social media channels.
- Drive awareness of our new blog posts by posting the articles into forums and groups
- Help to create one piece of video content per month and post on YouTube.
- Set up and manage a company Flickr account and post interesting photos
- Upload and manage company blog posts in WordPress (initially under supervision from a director).
- Repurpose content from other sources for our own social media channels (and understand how to change the tone of the content for each channel).
Understanding and monitoring social media analytics
- Track key social media analytics on a monthly basis, including Google Analytics, Bitly statistics, LinkedIn company stats, etc.
- Track and report website statistics using Google Analytics. Look at how well specific content performs and look at the flow of traffic through to our Web site. Look at how well blog posts perform based on their ‘share rating’ and the total number of viewers and time spent on-page. Look at the best performing web site pages and try to generate new content that does the same or better. If consultants are producing original content and blogs, report back to them weekly with the performance of those posts.
- Use tools like Klout, Tweriod, and TwitBro to measure our Twitter influence, and monitor what kind of content gets retweeted to help with future content.
- Use Google Reader to follow the blogs and content of our competitors and key clients.
- Use the organization’s Buffer account to create lists of followers and to schedule posts so that they are continuously pushed out.
- Work with the directors to build monthly reporting tools on social media analytics and performance against our ‘baseline targets.’
Key Skills Required for the Role:
- A degree in Communication or related educational qualification, A-levels or equivalent, particularly in English, Literature or History;
- Proven written communication skills, and a passion for writing both short- and long-copy.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- An interest in marketing, communications, social media or reputation management;
- Familiarity with key social media tools (e.g. Twitter and Facebook) and with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- An ability to consistently demonstrate our values of insight, hard work, and effectiveness in your personal approach to work;
- An entrepreneurial attitude;
- Excellent attention to detail and a high motivation to learn;
- A proactive, service-focused attitude towards beneficiaries and candidates and the teams you support internally;
- An ability to remain calm under pressure and a robust/resilient attitude towards challenges;
- An ability to prioritize work and complete tasks with quick turnaround times and minimal fuss; and
- The ability to work collaboratively with a team
This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment and access to work information
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel is expected. Several travel schedules are highly expected.
Youth Rising is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, HIV-status, national origin or disability.
Stipend & Benefits
This opportunity will start at a stipend level range of 350,000UGX per month with an opportunity to turn into a salaried with benefits position after fulfillment of a one-year contract and the candidate’s demonstration of growth in the position.
Click on the Apply Now button to send your application cover letter and your resume. Kindly do not attach any other documents.
30th March 2020